With College Football starting next week, here are my thoughts about each of the major conferences. Let’s start first with the ACC. Louisville now comes to the conference, also Notre Dame will play several ACC teams, and the National Champion just happens to reside in the ACC with Florida State. Here is my look of the conference.
Most Intriguing Team: Miami, talented offense lead by RB Duke Johnson, quarterback play is a question, promising defense.
Most Overrated Team: Clemson, really solid defensively, but no Boyd, Watkins, Bryant and underrated RB Roderick McDowell. Can they win with defense?
Best Coach: David Cutcliffe, Duke, he is winning in Durham, enough said.
Best Offensive Player: Jameis Winston, Florida State. How can the Heisman winner not be the best player in the conference. Pretty easy pick here.
Best Defensive Player: Luther Maddy, Virginia Tech. Tough call between him and Clemson’s Vic Beasley. I give Maddy the edge because he is “the guy” in the front seven. Beasley has more talent around him I believe.
Coach on the Hot Seat: Mike London, Virginia, after an eight-win season in 2011-12, the Cavs have won 6 games the last two seasons. A bowl is a must.
1. Can Clemson win with defense? They have always won with offense.
- Will FSU dominate again? No real games to be frightened about from what I see, maybe Louisville on Halloween night perhaps?
3. Who wins the Coastal? Miami, North Carolina, V Tech, Duke, and Pittsburgh have realistic shots.
- Will Duke repeat? I don’t believe so because of crucial injuries in the off-season, but they have enough talent to get back to a bowl game.
What will Louisville’s impact be? I think they might struggle some. No Teddy Bridgewater, plus losing first-round draft picks Marcus Smith and Calvin Pryor on defense could spell trouble.
Order of Finish
1. FSU 2.Clemson 3. Louisville 4. NC State 5. Syracuse 6. BC 7.Wake
1. Miami 2. V Tech 3. UNC 4. Duke 5. Pittsburgh 6. Virginia 7. Ga Tech
Conference Champ: Florida State